Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Social Networking Crazies

We live in a digital world where communication is near instant and information gets shared in the blink of an eye.  In the past if you wanted to communicate with an old friend or meet someone new, you had to write a letter, make a phone call, join a club, or go to a bar (or an AA meeting.)  Now we have Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and so forth.  I'm anti-social by nature, mainly because I hate crowds and don't like to make demands on what little free time I do have, but Social Networking sites are very appealing to me.

I have been exploring different sites and have accounts on just about all of them but I think it is time to draw a line in the sand.  I can not keep up with them all, and find it pretty tedious to even think about how I would be able to manage them all and still be interesting enough to keep a friend or two online.

I find Flickr to be a little annoying, because you have to have a Yahoo account to use it and there is one more login to deal with.  Facebook is so full of crap anymore, I can't stand all the quizzes and requests for apps, games, and other information farming junkware.  MySpace has always been an eyesore to me, so I'm not looking back there.  Twitter is really popular, but I just don't see the point anymore.  I have 200+ followers and it's always just such a mess to try and funnel through what is good and what is not.

My new thought process is that I'm going to go "All In" with Google and use it as my main online source for photo sharing, social networking, chating, and so forth.  If I can figure out how to integrate it with my iPhone and Mac enough to where I can automate things like uploading pictures, documents, other online activities then it's all over.  The only exception is LinkedIN, which has it's own place on the professional level, and that's where i would like to keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment