Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fanboy Confessional, Part 1

About a year before getting my first iPhone I had just started making the switch to Apple.  The first Intel Macs were about to come out, and I was constantly playing with my hackintosh partition on my PC.  I saw many things that I liked, especially with the syncing of the .mac accounts and later Mobile Me.  I was a Windows Mobile user and I had paid for an Exchange Server for a personal domain based email so I could have all my info synced.  I moved to a BlackBerry curve when they integrated a camera with the Curve models.  I was very happy with that Curve and had started to use other services to keep things synced like Remember The Milk for my Tasks.  When the iPhone 3G came out we had a chance to opt out of our Verizon contract and jump on the iPhone bandwagon.  It was great to have my calendar, my tasks, my email, and my address book always the same wherever I happen to be.  Apps were high quality, cheap, and flowing like rain in those days.  It was a bright new world and I really enjoyed using my device for fun, for work, for music, and for videos.

I made the choice to see what it was like in the Google world, partially as an experiment and partially to test myself and see how well I could adapt to a different environment (so to speak.)  I had played with Android devices, but never really committed to using one daily as my personal phone/entertainment device.  So I went cold turkey, I sold my iPhone 4, got an HTC Inspire 4g and jumped ship.  I chose the Inspire because I love the Sense UI, HTC makes excellent products and I have always been happy with them, and because it supports HSPA and I have an Unlimited data plan and I could use it tether.  In that process I did the following:

  • I changed my email over to Gmail from Mobile Me (iCloud)

  • I ditched files on my Mobile Me space and moved everything to DropBox

  • I still use iTunes as my media player, but I added double Twist to that recipe and wifi syncing.

  • I'm using Sparrow for email, rather than the Apple Mail app.

  • BusyCal is still my Calendar, it's Gmail support is the best.

  • Chrome is my main Browser now, not Safari or Firefox.

  • 1Password is multi-platform so I stuck with that, I love it and it's a 3rd party as far as this is concerned.

  • I also began using Evernote for a lot of my brainstorming and someday/maybe things.

  • I uploaded my entire Documents folder to Google Docs, and had to modify a few file types to make the switch from iWork.


That list of changes came with new plug-ins, new tweaks, new hacks and other settings to get things just the way I wanted them.  It took me a few weeks to adjust to everything and get the functionality I needed.  Gmail Labels took some getting used to, but it's actually easier to find what I'm looking for in the bazillion emails I have saved over the years.  Calendar and Contacts did not change much, the Mac address book had synced with Gmail for awhile.  Having files online is a minor pain, that is the fault of my lousy DSL connection, I still have local copies though so it's no big deal.

All in all, after a small learning curve, I was able to adapt and maintain what I needed for my day to day needs.  After I got used to things sitting at my desk I had to find the equivalent on my new mobile device.  I had fun trying out apps and discovering new apps to play with, the newest version of the Android App store has a nice UI and is easy to use.  My only complaint is that the search function often brings up more junk then useful or relevant apps.  I also decided I wanted to root my Inspire and load a custom ROM with the Sense 3 UI and all the goodies that comes with it.  After another learning curve I decided to try some  new things and discovered some incredible apps and utilities that I knew nothing about.

In Part 2 I'll share my discoveries and the great things I have come to love about my Android phone as well as what I miss about my iPhone and how my BlackBerry and Play Book figure into all of this will probably evolve into a third part.  Every Geek loves a good Trilogy right?

5 comments:

  1. Throughout the grand scheme of things you actually secure a B+ with regard to effort and hard work. Where you confused everybody was on all the facts. As as the maxim goes, the devil is in the details... And it could not be much more accurate in this article. Having said that, allow me say to you just what exactly did give good results. Your writing is certainly extremely powerful and that is probably why I am taking the effort to opine. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, even though I can easily see a leaps in reasoning you make, I am not necessarily certain of how you seem to unite the points which in turn help to make the actual final result. For the moment I shall yield to your position however trust in the foreseeable future you actually connect the facts much better.------------ www.yescustom.com - Custom T shirts etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virtually all of the things you point out happens to be astonishingly precise and that makes me ponder why I hadn't looked at this in this light previously. This particular article truly did switch the light on for me personally as far as this specific subject matter goes. But at this time there is actually just one factor I am not really too comfortable with and whilst I try to reconcile that with the actual central theme of your issue, permit me observe exactly what the rest of your subscribers have to say.Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed, I have to say. Very seldom do I come across a blog thats both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. Your blog is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are talking intelligently about. I'm very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to it.

    ReplyDelete