Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Rooting the Inspire 4G

After much consideration and research I decided to go ahead and root my Inspire and install a custom rom. I found a relatively easy method on XDA Developers that required a SD card and a script that gets run from the command line.  This cool little utility is called the Advanced Ace Hack Kit.  Once I got over the fast boot option hurdle It took only two attempts to get through the process, about a half hour total. I have spent more time running all command line roots on other machines so I was surprised at how quickly it went.

I went with the Android_Revolution HD ROM, it has the Sense 3.0 interface and a ton of tweaks for battery life and CPU management. So far I'm very impressed with it, I love the lock screen and the animations and the battery life has been great. The bloatware is gone and I have things almost exactly the way I want them.

I highly recommend doing this if you own an Inspire, it's not as daunting as it would appear at first glance, you just have to follow the directions and you'll get through it just fine.

 

1 comment: